Thursday, November 19, 2009

Finally … I get my first job!


This week is my week! How come? Because this week is my first time that I can practice my knowledge, yeah… I am an English private teacher now! ^_^ Well… maybe become a private teacher is sounds like something usual and not special for other, but for me… it’s really wonderful! Because I’ve been obsessed to be an English private teacher since I was in the third semester. And because I don’t have motorcycle, I got difficulty to become a private teacher. And finally, in this fifth semester, specifically last week … one of my lovely friend ( Savira) offered me an opportunity to give English private for junior high school student. And I spontaneously accepted this offer.
And yesterday is my first time doing this job! Well, unlike the other private standard… I teach three students concurrently. They are Dian, Indah, and Tri. We come together in Dian’s house every Wednesday night and Thursday night at 18.30.pm. At first, I felt nervous and worried because I was afraid if they were too smart or if I couldn’t explain about what they will asked. But in fact, everything is going well and I feel really enjoy doing this job. Because unfortunately, although they are in the highest level of Junior High School (9 grade), but they are still weak in English especially in grammar and pronounciation. I thought they have already understood well about the basic tenses in English, but what I found was very different from my first guess. Even they are still confused to differentiate which one is simple present, simple past tense, or simple continuous tense.
It is advantageous for me, because I only have to explain simple material. But then I thinking it through and suddenly feel so ironic. From what Dian has told me, I found that the English learning in their school is not an effective learning. Their teacher never gives a brief explanation about the material. The students only have to write the material in their book, and do some exercise in LKS or text book. And when their answer was wrong, their teacher never explains about the reason why their answer was considered as wrong answer. It’s kind of monotonous learning system that I also experienced when I was in junior high school. And I believe that there are many schools in Indonesia who are still use this system. One of crucial reason is the teacher who doesn’t have a good capability and understanding to teach student in creative ways.
I just wonder… how if every teacher understand well how to teach and make student love English subject? I think it will give the big progress in our education system. But unhappily, the fact is so different from what we are expected. I just hope that I can to be a good and creative teacher who can give the best for my students. Not only give understanding but also motivation that can attract their interest to study English deeply. ^_^


No comments:

Post a Comment